This is a news release by the Connecticut State Police:
..Shortly after noon (on Tuesday), undercover narcotics detectives assigned to the State Police Statewide Narcotics Task Force were approached by a panhandler while eating lunch at a local restaurant on Chapel Street in New Haven. The panhandler stated that in exchange for some beer and money he would be able to provide illegal narcotics.
The undercover detectives agreed to place an order for “crack” cocaine from the panhandler, which he arranged by making a phone call. A short time later the dealer arrived riding a bicycle and made the deal with an undercover officer while the other undercover detectives looked on.
Once the deal was made the accused dealer, 24-year-old Richard Wells, was taken into custody by the other undercover detectives. Seized from Accused Wells were 17 bags of “crack” cocaine (2.6 grams), 4 bags of marijuana (2.8 grams) and $102 in cash.
Accused Wells was charged with several narcotics charges. He was transported by Narcotics Detectives to NHPD where he was processed and held on bond. The panhandler was not arrested at this time pending further investigation.
The Connecticut State Police Statewide Narcotics Unit South Central Field Office is comprised of State Police Detectives as well as officers from Cheshire, New Haven, Orange, Woodbridge, and West Haven Police Departments.
ARRESTED: Richard Wells (DOB: 08-19-1988), 526 Winthrop Ave. 1st flr, New Haven
- 21a-279(a) Poss of Narcotic Substance
- 21a-278(b) Poss of a Narcotic Substance With Intent to Sell (WITS)
- 21a-279(d) Poss of a Narcotic Substance within 1500’ School
- 21a-278(a)b Poss of a Narcotic Substance WITS within 1500’ School
- 21a-278(b) Sale of a Narcotic Substance
- 21a-278(a)b Sale of a Narcotic Substance within 1500’ school
- 21a-279(c) Poss of a Controlled Substance 4 oz or less
- 21a-279(d) Poss of a Controlled Substance within 1500’ School
- 21a-277(b) Poss of a Controlled Substance With Intent to Sell (WITS)
- 21a-278(a)b Poss of a Controlled Substance WITS 1500’ School
The accused will appear in Superior Court GA #23 in New Haven to answer the charges.