A mix of heavy rains and thunderstorms could result in "significant" flooding in areas throughout the shoreline region starting late Friday afternoon and into early Saturday morning.
The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood watch that covers the northern Connecticut region.
With the region already soaked from rains earlier this week, some 1.5 to 3 inches of additional heavy rain is expected to fall — with locally higher amounts possible in some areas during the storm, the NWS reports.
There is an increased threat of significant urban flooding, along with flooding of "small streams and low-lying and poor drainage areas," the meteorologists warn in their report.
The good news is that once the rains move out early Saturday morning, the rest of the weekend looks to be a pleasant one weather wise here along the shoreline with only a slight chance of rain and high temperatures expected to reach the low 70s.
Here is the extended forecast forecast from the NWS:
- Tonight: Rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 3am, then rain likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog between 11pm and midnight. Low around 56. South wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
- Saturday: A chance of rain, mainly before 8am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. West wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. Northwest wind around 7 mph.
- Sunday: A slight chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Northwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Sunday Night: A slight chance of showers before 11pm, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 11pm and midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Monday: A chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 68. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Monday Night: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tuesday: A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.