As the weather cools, even the heated water at the Cheshire Community Pool gets too chilly to use.
Given that a new bubble won't be installed until late December, the pool will be closed for more than eight weeks beginning Sunday, October 15, 2011.
The remaining schedule will allow swimming until 6:15 p.m., or until it begins to get too dark, according to a statement released Monday by the town.
Lifeguards and other employees, except Aquatic Director Sheila Adams, will be furloughed once the pool closes. Rehiring will take place once until the bubble is installed, the statement said.
The latest update on the bubble's installation shows it will take 10 weeks for the design and manufacturing of the all-weather fabric structure. Ten days are then needed for installation, according to Town Manager Michael Milone.
A report from Cheshire High School Athletic Director Trifone notes the boys swim team is scheduled to start the season at another pool with possible use of the pool at Southern Connecticut State University. The girls team is practicing at the Cheshire Academy pool and also using SCSU's facility.
Here's the schedule for the remaining Cheshire Community Pool season:
- Saturday, October 1, open 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 2, closed
- Monday, October 3 through Friday, October 7, open 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
- Saturday, October 8, open 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 9, closed
- Monday, October 10 through Friday, October 14, open 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
- Saturday, October 15, open 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.